Shaytan was then banished from Jannah (Heaven) for his disobedience caused by his arrogance.
Allah provides the details of the event in Surat AlHijr verses 30-43
30. So, the angels prostrated themselves, all of them together.
31. Except Iblees (Shaytan), - he refused to be among the prostrators.
32. (Allah) said: "O Iblees (Shaytan)! What is your reason for not being among the prostrators?"
33. [Iblees (Shaytan)] said: "I am not the one to prostrate myself to a human being, whom You created from sounding clay of altered black smooth mud."
34. (Allah) said: "Then, get out from here, for verily, you are Rajim (an outcast or a cursed one)."
35. "And verily, the curse shall be upon you till the Day of Recompense (i.e. the Day of Resurrection)."
36. [Iblees (Shaytan)] said: "O my Lord! Give me then respite till the Day they (the dead) will be resurrected."
37. Allah said: "Then, verily, you are of those reprieved,
38. "Till the Day of the time appointed."
39. [Iblees (Shaytan)] said: "O my Lord! Because you misled me, I shall indeed adorn the path of error for them (mankind) on the earth, and I shall mislead them all.
40. "Except Your chosen, (guided) slaves among them."
41. (Allah) said: "This is the Way which will lead straight to Me."
42. "Certainly, you shall have no authority over My slaves, except those who follow you of the Ghawin (Mushrikun and those who go astray, criminals, polytheists, and evil-doers, etc.).
43. "And surely, Hell is the promised place for them all.
Furthermore, Allah states that Shaytan has no authority over us i.e. cannot make us do anything we don't want to do. What this mean is he can suggest something, but it is down to the choices we make.
Obey Allah and obey his messenger
We must follow the Quran and Sunnah and avoid that which Allah has forbidden.
Muslim narrated from Abu Hurayrah: “When the son of Adam recites a verse of sajdah (prostration) and prostrates, the Shaytan withdraws weeping, saying, ‘Woe to me, the son of Adam was commanded to prostrate, and he prostrated, so Paradise will be his; I was commanded to prostrate and I disobeyed, so Hell will be mine.’” Narrated by Muslim, no. 133.
يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا ادْخُلُوا فِي السِّلْمِ كَافَّةً وَلَا تَتَّبِعُوا خُطُوَاتِ الشَّيْطَانِ ۚ إِنَّهُ لَكُمْ عَدُوٌّ مُبِينٌ
"O you who have believed, enter into Islam completely [and perfectly] and do not follow the footsteps of Shaytan. Indeed, he is to you a clear enemy." AlBaqarah 2-208
The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: “The Shaytan said to the Lord of Glory: ‘By Your Glory O Lord, I will keep trying to misguide Your slaves so long as their souls are in their bodies.’ The Lord said, ‘By My Glory and Majesty, I will continue to forgive them so long as they ask My forgiveness.’” Narrated by Ahmad in al-Musnad and classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Jaami’, 2/32 So man should always be in a state of repentance and turning to Allah. They have an example in their father Adam (peace be upon him):
“Our Lord! We have wronged ourselves. If You forgive us not, and bestow not upon us Your Mercy, we shall certainly be of the losers”
Seeking Allah's protection
When entering the washroom: “Allaahumma inni a’oodhu bika min al-khubthi wa’l-khabaa’ith (O Allah, I seek refuge with You from the male and female devils).”
When one is angry: “A’oodhu Billaahi min al-Shaytan ir-rajeem (I seek refuge with Allah from the accursed Shaytan).”
When having intercourse: “Bismillaah Allaahumma jannibna al-Shaytan wa jannib al-shaytaana ma razaqtana (In the name of Allah, O Allah, keep the Shaytan away from us and keep the Shaytan away from that which You may bless us with).”
When stopping in a place: “A’oodhu bi kalimaat-Allaah il-taammah min sharri ma khalaqa (I seek refuge in the perfect words of Allah from the evil of that which He has created).”
When hearing the braying of a donkey: “A’oodhu Billaahi min al-Shaytan ir-rajeem (I seek refuge with Allah from the accursed Shaytan).”
When starting to read Qur’aan: “A’oodhu Billaah il-samee’ il-‘aleem min al-Shaytan ir-rajeem (I seek refuge with Allah, the All-Hearing, All-Knowing, from the accursed Shaytan).”
After starting to pray: “A’oodhu Billaah il-samee’ il-‘aleem min al-Shaytan ir-rajeem wa min hamzihi wa nafakhihi wa nafthihi (I seek refuge with Allah, the All-Hearing, All-Knowing, from the accursed Shaytan, from his madness, his arrogance and his poetry).”
- Shaytan has no authority over us and therefore cannot make us do anything. He can only make the suggestion, we are the ones who choose to follow or not.
- Those entering hellfire will blame Shaytan, he will say "I did not make you, I only suggested it.
- Shaytan is our obvious enemy and should treat him a such and fight/ignore his whispers.
- Constantly seek Allah's protection from the accursed Shaytan
- Follow the Quran and Sunnah and avoid that which Allah has forbidden
- We all make mistakes, turn to Allah and seek his forgiveness. Allah will always forgive us.
"Shaytan is a loser and only losers follow him"